- You do not need to register with a political party.
- However, you must be a member of a political party in order to vote in that party’s primary.
- Am I registered with a party? Use our voter registration lookup tool to check whether you are already registered with a party.
- To register with a political party, complete a new Voter Registration and indicate your party choice in section 9.
- To change your party registration, complete a new Voter Registration and indicate your new choice in section 9.
NOTE: There is a 3 month waiting period to change from one party to another. This does not apply when switching from unaffiliated to party membership.
What is an unaffiliated voter? Unaffiliated is the term used to refer to voters who are not registered with a political party. This term is used instead of referring to these voters as independent to avoid confusion with the Independent Party, which is an established political party. If you write Independent in section 9 of your Voter Registration, you will be registered as a member of the Independent Party.