GOV. MALLOY ORGANIZES GROUP TO IMPROVE SERVICES FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH INTELLECTUAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES
(HARTFORD, CT) - Governor Dannel P. Malloy today announced that he is creating a working group to examine and improve the provision of services to members of the intellectual and developmental disabilities community. The Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) Service Improvement Working Group will examine gaps in existing IDD services, and identify best practices and opportunities to improve provision of those services.
"The State of Connecticut has committed significant resources to support individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, and we strive to make the best and most efficient use of both state and federal funds," said Governor Malloy. "Establishing a working group to examine best practices in the delivery of services will allow us to better partner with individuals and their families to support lifelong planning and to join with others to create and promote meaningful opportunities for our residents to fully participate as valued members of their communities."
The working group will be responsible for submitting a report to the Governor no later than December 15, 2014 that will:
- Identify and highlight best practices relating to delivery of services to the IDD community, as well as best practices in communication with this community and accountability for those services
- Identify challenges in the handling of wait lists for services and housing placements, and make recommendations to reduce the length of time individuals spend on wait lists
- Consider ways for the state to use Medicaid Dollars more flexibly and efficiently to better meet the changing needs of the IDD community
- Consider ways for the state to help individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities plan and prepare for the transition into adulthood, including but not limited to, transitions related to education, housing, and employment.
The Working Group is comprised of 17 individuals as follows:
- Jonathan Slifka, The Governor's Liaison to the Disability Community, who shall serve as co-chair
- Terrence Macy, The Commissioner of the Department of Developmental Services, or his designee
- Terry Edelstein, The Governor's Nonprofit Liaison
- Benjamin Barnes, the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management, or his designee
- Three individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities:
- Tom McCann
- Varian Salters
- Emily Angeloff
- Tom Fiorentino (Co-Chair)
- Tesha Imperati
- Lisa Roland
- Leslie Simoes-ARC
- Julia Wilcox-CT Non-Profits
- Barry Simon-Oak Hill
- Morna Murray-CCPA
- Andrea Barton Reeves-HARC
- Tracey Walker-Journey Found
The first meeting of the Working Group is scheduled for Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 2 p.m. in room 1C of the Legislative Office Building (LOB).
For information on the IDD working group, visit: http://governor.ct.gov/idd
For Immediate Release: June 24, 2014
Contact: Samaia Hernandez
Facebook: Office of Governor Dannel P. Malloy